Friday, September 14, 2012

The Lonely Forest


Every so often, you come across that one band that, at least for the time being, becomes your new most absolutely favorite band. Well today I give to you my new most absolutely favorite band. 

Artist: The Lonely Forest

An American indie rock band from Anacortes, Washington, The Lonely Forest formed in 2005 and have since released 2 EPs and 3 full-length records to date. On their website biography, their music is described as having a core of John Van Deusen’s soaring vocals and keyboard melodies, wrapped tightly around Tony Ruland’s expansive guitar anchored by a heavy, yet nimble, rhythm section. 

Even from only having known about them for less than a day now, I'd still have to agree that the music is very vocally driven, but the guitar and rhythm parts are most definitely right there to back it and give their sound a very unique texture.

Lyrically and stylistically, their songs entertain a contrast of “brilliant pop songs featuring lyrics about spiritual longing wedded to an almost prog-rock sensibility” according to their site. Because of this, they apparently appeal to broad range of listeners, from “wide-eyed teenagers to jaded scenesters.”

From my own experience, I can only add to that by saying that their music sounds to me like a combination of Arcade Fire, Chevelle, and a little Angels & Airwaves perhaps. And honestly, I’d have to say that that’s a combination that really needed to happen, based on how amazing this band sounds. 

Some standout tracks include;
• Tooth for Tooth
• Coyote
• We Sing In Time
• Blackheart vs Captain America
• Are You Afraid of the World? 
• Nuclear Winter

I’m sorry I don’t have more songs to suggest, but I just found these guys yesterday and was a little impatient to post about them, so I haven’t gotten the chance to be able to explore their discography in any kind of depth. However, you can obviously go forth and discover on your own, which I strongly encourage! It's not nearly often enough that bands such as this get the attention they deserve, and these guys definitely deserve any and all attention they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment