Monday, October 17, 2011

Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor)

Today's suggestion is a song I had never even heard of before I gave it a try due to it's interesting title. Now, it's one of my favorites, thus garnering a spot on this humble blog.

Song: Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor)
Artist: Atreyu

I think it's fair to say that with hearing the name "Atreyu", comes the song in question usually being perceived as heavy, complete with grungy/growled vocals. However, this song pays tribute to the band's "softer" side.

Right from the beginning, the song sounds very country-esque, complete with twangy guitars and an emotional vocal performance. And to be truthful, it never strays too far from that, except you do get a more rock/alternative vibe as the song progresses. Yet that's not what makes this track so remarkable. In fact, it's hard to describe what actually does make it outstanding, but I shall endeavor to do so.

Rarely do I think the chorus is the brightest shining point of a song. Yes, I do love me some good choruses, but usually I tend towards the awesome bridges and ridiculous instrumental sections. In this song, the chorus is what makes it, all the way through.

The best way to put it is that in the chorus, the first part of the phrase is in what sounds like a major key, the final part of which drops down enough to make it minor. When you listen to it, you'll understand, and appreciate just how awesome such a technique really can be. It adds so much to the power of the song. Not to mention the fact that Brandon Saller turns in some epic drum (and vocal, as he seems the be the main vocalist for the song!) performances, especially in the final repeat of the chorus where everything is coming together.

I know that's a lot to take in for just a song, but all these words simply cannot do it the justice it deserves. I might wind up saying this a lot, but if you only take one of my suggestions seriously on here, this just might be the one to do so for.

No comments:

Post a Comment