Thursday, December 29, 2011

Machine Head

After discovering vocalist Robb Flynn through The All-Star Sessions (see last post), I felt obligated to listen to the band he's actually from. And can I just say, I'm very glad I did.

Artist: Machine Head

These guys have been compared almost ad nauseam to the likes of Pantera and Slayer, in terms of their heavier and thrashier metal style. That common connection is not without merit however, seeing as Machine Head has even covered one of Pantera's songs.

Throughout their existence, Machine Head has experimented with other sounds, most notably their nu/rap metal deviations off of the album Supercharger. While the majority of their fan base tends to resent that divergence in style, I personally respect and enjoy it, so I'll leave the final judgement up to you as the listener.

Some of their standout tracks include;
• Halo
• Locust
• Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden cover (one of the best I've ever heard))
• Davidian
• Aesthetics of Hate
• Kick You When You're Down
• Now I Lay Thee Down

If you're interested in Machine Head's more Pantera-like songs, you'd be best to explore their earliest (Burn My Eyes & The More Things Change...) and latest (Through the Ashes of Empires, The Blackening & The Locust) records. The middle section (The Burning Red & Supercharger) in between those two periods is where you'll find their nu-er sounding material.

No comments:

Post a Comment