Sunday, January 8, 2012

Luna Espera EP

When someone suggests an album (or EP) with the premise that they can't stop listening to it, I always think they must be exaggerating. That's how I was introduced to this gem, and if you're like me, you won't believe me when I say this, but I honestly can't stop listening to it. I tried, trust me.

Album: Luna Espera EP
Artist: MWK

This EP only contains five songs, but as MWK (Midwest Kings) are really a regional touring band, that's to be expected somewhat.

I haven't listened to a whole lot from this group, but based on what I have listened to and what I've read from people who have listened to a whole lot from this group, this EP is a departure from their prior style. Luna Espera has a much more flowing, rock/alternative sound. Overall it's very low-key, almost ambient at times. However, there are still some parts in songs like "The Captain, His Ship" that stay truer to a more traditional rock influence.

Throughout it all, it's singer Andy Skib's beautifully mellow voice that defines this EP, in addition to the intriguing, often unconventional, lyrics. The precise instrumentation provides the ideal background to make Luna Espera as amazing as it is.

I'd highly recommend giving MWK a try, even if their style doesn't exactly seem like what you're used to listening to. It's worth it, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment