Saturday, January 28, 2012

This Is War

Seeing as I am fond of music videos that play out more like short films, what better band to watch videos from than one whose lead singer also doubles as an actor?

Song: This Is War
Artist: 30 Seconds to Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcps2fJKuAI&feature=related

It's honestly been a while since I have been seriously moved by a music video, and I literally cannot make it through this one without getting chills. I've seen many music videos where the backdrop of war is utilized, so when I say that this is probably the most moving use of such a theme, I kind of have a base I'm coming from.

The filming techniques they used in this video are astounding, and they really add to the overall ambiance of it. There's nothing in particular I want to call out, but you'll hopefully see what I'm talking about if/when you take this suggestion seriously. Also, the addition of real-life footage, such as mini-clips involving JFK and George W. Bush, provide a cultural reference for the meaning of the video, as well as that of the song itself.

Speaking of the actual song, I haven't heard enough of 30 Seconds to Mars' music to formulate an educated opinion on their sound, but I can say that for at least this song Jared Leto's voice is absolutely perfect. Going along with that, the instrumentation behind him also aids in the climax of the pre-chorus into the chorus, which comes off as powerful to say the least.

Although the second half of the video or so strays away from reality, the message it contains still pertains to real life, past and present. Personally, I can't listen to the song itself now without drawing from it the meaning that was derived from this video as it is so compelling.

1 comment: