Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dead Man's Bones

I know it's only January, but I think I've found another album to add to my playlists for Halloween. Of course, that's not going to stop me from listening to it repeatedly the rest of the year as well.

Album: Dead Man's Bones
Artist: Dead Man's Bones

Growing up, we had a cassette tape of Walt Disney World theme-song-sing-a-longs that I used to listen to all the time. My favorite track was "Grim Grinning Ghosts," and I decided that if I ever went to Disney World, The Haunted Mansion was going to be my favorite ride. Well, when I went, that definitely held true, hands down. I enjoy the macabre, and that ride blended darker elements with a more humorous twist, making it a ride I went on a number of times without ever getting tired of it.

Dead Man's Bones is the duo Ryan Gosling (yes, the actor) and Zach Shield's indie/folk rock project. They've released one album, self-titled. Apparently, they had originally wanted to film a horror musical using the tracks from this album, but settled for just the music instead. After listening to the album, I'm still holding out hope for a horror musical, personally.

According to a commenter on iTunes, Gosling and Shield have cited their influence as The Haunted Mansion. Whether or not that's true, it definitely sounds like it is. The album definitely blends a folk-rock sound with the style of thematic music used on The Haunted Mansion. It's very hard to describe, but the result sounds like it belongs on the ride, complete with subtly creepy undertones and upbeat tempos and melodies.

As the album cover states, it features the Silverlake Conservatory of Music Children's Choir. Having that unique sound as well lightened the album, and made it even more fun to listen to. Don't get me wrong, Gosling and Shield turn in impressive vocal and instrumental performances throughout, but there's something great about listening to children sing, and it adds so much to the album.

Some standout tracks include;
• Dead Man's Bones
• My Body's a Zombie for You
• Paper Ships
• Pa Pa Power
• Dead Hearts
• In the Room Where You Sleep
• Lose Your Soul

Those are the only ones I can list, because they are the only ones I've listened to so far. If you're a fan of Halloween-inspired music as I am, or are just looking for something a little different to listen to, this is the album for you. I discovered it through Ryan Gosling, as he's one of my favorite actors. Honestly, he's one of my favorite singers now too. I strongly recommend giving these guys a listen; you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment